Thursday, April 16, 2009

While I Was Working

I find it amazing how the Lord works, and how the Holy Spirit brings things to our rememberance. For instance, every Sunday morning for a while now my Pastor has been preaching nothing but the grace of God, and that message has been working its way into my heart more and more. It just so happened that Monday (as I was cleaning the lot at Chick-fil-a) a scripture was brought to mind - I remember hearing "...for he cannot disown himself..."

The scripture sounded familiar, and I remembered further, "if we are faithless, he will remain faithful, for he cannot disown himself." In other words, even if I am not obedient to everything the Lord gives me to do, He remains faithful to me no matter what. Why? Not because I deserve it; everything I know about myself even on my best days is undeserving of such commitment. My own righteousness is as filthy rags in comparison to Him.

But God in His grace sent Jesus to pay the price for my sin, for the sin of the whole world. Even though Jesus lived a sinless life, he bore the punishment of my sin so that the wrath of God towards sin would be satisfied. But the only way to receive that grace is by faith in Jesus; to believe that Jesus Christ died for my sins and rose to life on the third day as He promised.

And on the moment a sinner places their faith in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, they are identifying themself with the Lord Jesus Christ. And the amazing thing is that Jesus also identifies Himself with us. His blood completely covers our sins and trespasses, and all that God sees is the perfect righteousness of His son Jesus Christ. Just as Jesus Christ rose to new life, so we are given a new identity as sons and daughters of the Lord God Almighty.

So even if I am faithless, He will remain faithful, for He cannot disown Himself. I am secure where I stand. It is written, "For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." So neither myself, nor anything else, will be able to undo what the Lord has done for me.

And like I said, that came to me at work - and since then I've been anything but perfect. But nevertheless, the Lord is mine, and I am His, and nothing can change that. It feels good to know such love, and I have a need to know Him more.

2 comments:

Sheila Atchley said...

I *love* this post, Justin!

Hannah Nichole Atchley said...

Great, Great, Great post!