Saturday, June 6, 2009

My Thinking Is Turned Upside Down

Before I say what is on my mind, I must begin with this. I, by nature, am a teacher. Furthermore, I also love to learn. It's just a part of me. But what is never all that lovable is having to back-track and re-learn things.

You may ask, "Re-learn what kinds of things?" And if you didn't just ask that, I will answer that particular question anyways.

Growing up, I was always taught, "Jesus fulfilled the law; he never abolished it." But now I am beginning to re-think that statement.

The first part is clear; Jesus fulfilled all the requirements for righteousness found in the law. And that I believe with all my heart. His fulfillment of the law and death on the cross is my only means of obtaining righteousness; and I have received it. But now that I have been made righteous in the sight of God through faith in Jesus, what about the law? Here's what Paul wrote to the church...

Col. 2:13-14 "When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross."

What is the written code? Isn't that the law, given to men by God through Moses?

What does it mean to be canceled? It has been done away with. It is nullified. On what grounds? The cross of Christ; through Christ all of our trespasses are forgiven, and the written code condemns us no longer if we are found in Christ.

What was I taught was Jesus fulfilled the law, but the law is very necessary. But what I find is that Jesus fulfilled the law, and canceled it and all its requirements. Why? So I could be free to live however I choose? No. Rather, that I may live for God, knowing He has already made me righteous in His sight through His own blood. And this is true freedom, not living for my own pleasures. But I am free to grow in my relationship with God without worrying about my standing with Him. And I'm loving it.

1 comment:

Sheila Atchley said...

Taking a moment here to catch up on your blog...I LOVE THIS ONE! Great job - keep writing when you have time, Justin. Because it is what will make you ready and keep you ready for the day when you have to strap on a mic! :-)