Friday, December 19, 2008

Christmas Traditions

If Nancy Drew lived in my house, each year we'd have "the case of the missing wardrobes." Of course, it'd be a boring mystery because everyone in my family would know exactly where they went - under the tree.

That's right, every year at Christmas time a good chunk of my clothes disappear and are opened on Christmas morning. In the mind of us McConnell boys, it doesn't matter whatsoever how small the gift is. However, it still needs an adequate box to be wrapped up in (for the sake of ripping off the paper and making a mess to clean up afterwards). And where else can you find an abundance of box stuffers than your own closet?

I just got done wrapping my brothers present, wrapped carefully in two t-shirts and placed inside a cheerios box. And not the small cheerios box either; it was one of the biggies (thus, it required two shirts). Just think about it... how fun is it to open a present if you can shake it and have an inkling of an idea of what's inside? We prefer to surprise and be surprised if we can help it.

On top of the fact that a big chunk of my wardrobe will be missing by the time I finish wrapping the remainder of my presents, there is another mystery that always occurs at Christmas time - "the case of the missing boxes."

If there's a box, and you need it, the philosophy is put the contents in a tupperware and use the box. Ritz crackers, cereal, oatmeal packets, you name it - we'll find a suitable place for the contents of a box if we think it's just what we need. Remember that cheerios box? I just emptied it's contents into a cereal tupperware container. (the ladies may be thinking "that poor mother..." but she hasn't killed us yet for it!!)

Here's the great thing about this Christmas... It will be my last Christmas at home :) Next year, Hannah and I will have our first Christmas together, and begin our own Christmas traditions. So this year, I will empty my wardrobe to soundproof the boxes, and empty the box of hot chocolate mix to wrap my last present... But as for next year, who knows! I just know that I cannot wait to spend my first Christmas with Hannah as we begin our lives together. And the traditions that come from that will be the dearest to me, even more so than trying to remember if my favorite t-shirt is in the wash or under the tree.

Well, I hope your Christmas is blessed and very enjoyable! I'm going to get back to hunting boxes and wrapping presents before I head to work...

4 comments:

Hannah Nichole Atchley said...

lol lol lol- I love this my handsome man. I'm glad that this year you can empty your wardrobe for presents (better you than me seeing as I like to wear my clothes, not wrap with them lol). As for next year, I'll leave the shirt wrapping to you lol. You know me, everything has to be pretty in the appropriate box lol.

Sheila Atchley said...

Hilarious!

Unknown said...

Oh Justin! I LOVE this post! What FUN! Have you ever thought of using newspaper instead? You'd certainly have more clothes to wear... ;)

Liz Overton said...

LOL Wow! That's quite a Christmas tradition! LOL