Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Dr. Gene Sapp

This morning I woke up at a decent hour, and began my day. Somewhere around eight thirty, my father invited me to breakfast with him at IHOP (International House of Pancakes, you gotta love pancakes...). Of course, I accepted - breakfast is the best meal of the day!

As we were heading out the door I got a phone call... it was my dentist. I had forgotten my eight o'clock appointment! I had left myself notes about it, and remembered it even yesterday... just not last night when I set my alarm... Thankfully we were able to reschedule my appointment for as soon as I got there, which meant rescheduling breakfast for later.

(But that's okay - lunch may not be as good as breakfast, but it still stops the rumbly in my tumbly)

I've been going to the same dentist since I was a wee child; his name is Dr. Gene Sapp. I've had many blessed memories... like when he was pulling one of my teeth, and accidentally crushed it. Before you think "OUCH!!!!...", just let me assure you my tooth was quite dead - its root was just still deeply embedded in my gum, and it refused to let go. The nerves were non-functional and completely, utterly, and totally dead; but it's still kinda scary when a tooth is crushed into three pieces in your mouth.

In addition to fun memories, the same lady has been cleaning my teeth there for ever since I can remember. When I was young, I just remember her cleaning my teeth, applying the flouride, and saying "bla bla bla bla..." the whole time. But as I've gotten older, I've learned that she is both a mother and grandmother; I've learned about her involvement in her church. And she has likewise gotten to know about me, such as what I'm studying in college, ect...

And of course, when the dentist comes in to check over everything, he has always had a smile, wit, and laughter. He was a family man, who took good care of his wife and children. He was very involved in their lives, and I always looked forward to the end of the visits when he'd come in.

Today was the first time in a dentist's office where Dr Sapp has not been there. Just last month he went on to be with the Lord after a fight with cancer. He was a man who loved his family, and his patients. His legacy still goes on, and the dental hygienists who work under him still carry that warm personality that characterized him. I do miss him, but in all aspects of his life, his testimony echoed strongly of his love for his family, for people, and for the the Lord.

When I started writing this blog, I hadn't meant to write a 'eulogy.' I wanted to write about the importance of relationships, and I did just that, I think. I know his family will never doubt that he loved them. And people who knew him would never doubt it either. If there's anything in life I sure don't want to miss out on, besides walking daily with my Lord, I do not want to miss out on the opportunities to build relationships with people. They are of greatest value, for both this life and the next.

And I truly believe what I'm about to say... If anyone has neglected relationships in their lives, it is never too late. It might take some work, or a lot of work depending on the situation, but I truly believe any relationship can be restored by the power of God. It may take sacrifice, but the blessings that come from it would be far greater than anything else you'd find on this earth. Treasure people, you will never regret it.

No comments: