Friday, October 3, 2008

Changing Colors, Changing Temperatures, Lack of Desperation

Note: If my blog were really cool, I'd put a picture of my trees on it. The leaves were green last week, but now they're all sorts of delightful colors. Reds and yellows are overtaking the greens, and I like it.

And now, regarding the change in weather; the changing of seasons...

My (perhaps) favorite part is the change in temperature. I've been waiting for the summer-like temperatures to drop. I've grown tired of working up a sweat whilewalking up and down "The Hill" on campus everyday. I have been so ready. Sure enough, in the blink of an eye, we went from really warm at night to dropping into the mid 40's.

Note: I am glad the weather changed rapidly. It reminds me that I am, in fact, attending the University of Tennessee and Knoxville, and the weather is simply and wonderfully unpredictable. In fact, next week it could be in the nineties for all I know...

If I were more cold-natured than I am, this would drastically affect me. I head out to school semi-early each morning; thus, it used to be warm, and now it is cold in the wee hours of the a.m. In spite of this change, I still waltzed out to my car in a t-shirt and long pants, with sandals.

Now, had I been aware of the change, I may have dressed differently. Maybe I would have grabbed a jacket. I was desperately looking forward to this moment in the season, but I'm not sure I was ready for it. Meaning, I wasn't watching out for it like I think I should have.

If I would have been "desperately looking forward to this moment," like I claim, you'd expect to see me watching and waiting. And then, when that moment arrives, I'd jump on it. If I would have been "desperately looking forward to this moment," wouldn't it make sense that I should appear to be pursuing it?

Desperation is something I find I'm lacking in, whether physical or spiritual. I'm not sitting here condemning myself or anything, but I am going to confess I've found my "pursuit of God" to be less than pursuit. If I am looking forward to a break-through in an area, I don't think I'm anticipating it as much as I think I am. Otherwise, I'd be trying to reach it faster, rather than letting it hit me. Or, if it is out of my control, I'd at least be watching and waiting for it, so that when it comes into view I can run after it as hard as I can.

So I love the changes that have been occurring in Knoxville. Now, all there is to do is to make something of my recent revelation. Rather than sitting and waiting for something, how about waiting while pursuing. Idleness is not a virtue. A woman of virtue is commended in the Proverbs for not being idle.

In Ecclesiastes 10:18, it says "If a man is lazy the rafters sag; if his hands are idle the house leaks."

The Proverbs (6:9-11) also say,

"How long will you lie there, you sluggard?
When will you get up from your sleep?

A little sleep, a little slumber,
a little folding of the hands to rest-

and poverty will come on you like a bandit
and scarcity like an armed man."


I have a need of reform; I have a need to be desperate. I have a need to do more than wait for something to happen, but to pursue it. Life requires maintenance; idleness allows things to wear down and fall apart. A little sleep, a little slumber, won't make things better. In fact, poverty can come on you in a heartbeat if you're not watching out.

So Justin, wake up! Wake up!

3 comments:

Justin said...

Before someone comments... No, I'm not trying to reference the Matrix at the end... I didn't mess up a quote... I don't care about the Matrix lol

Hannah Nichole Atchley said...

Hey handsome,
I see what you're saying here.
I'm praying for you, and am encouraged by what you wrote :)

jame said...

Brother I really like how you worded this:

Life requires maintenance; idleness allows things to wear down and fall apart.

This is awesome and it applies to all areas of our lives!

Maintenance in order to keep going!