Friday, November 7, 2008

Do I Realize the Authority of Jesus?

I've been reading through Matthew, and there have been many intriguing things that have been sinking into my heart which I hope to write on. But today I just want to take note of the authority of Jesus; His position of authority.

After the sermon on the mount, Jesus heals a man with leprosy first thing. The man obviously recognizes Jesus' position of authority, because he kneels before the Lord, addresses Him as lord, and makes his request humbly. "Lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean."

It's like going before a king to ask for something (and in this case, the King of kings). Praise the Lord we can come before the throne boldly and with confidence to ask, but I hope we don't forget who we're approaching. I don't want to come before my King irreverently, just on the basis of boldness and confidence. Though I am at peace before my King, He is the ruler of all, and may I not forget it.

And now back to the man with leprosy... The Lord's response was simply, "I am willing, be clean!" He touched the man, and immediately this man was healed. Just a few words, and it was just as He said. This was the case in the next man in Matthew recorded approaching Jesus.

A centurion approached the Lord as He entered Capernaum, and asked for the Lord to heal His servant. But when the Lord offers to go see the servant and heal him, the centurion also addresses Jesus as lord, acknowledging that he is not worthy to even have Jesus under his roof. And this is what the centurion says...

"Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, 'Go,' and he goes; and that one, 'Come,' and he comes. I say to my servant, 'Do this,' and he does it."

Wow, now that's faith! In fact, Jesus says He hadn't found faith like that in all of Israel. How could the centurion have the faith to just trust in the word of the Lord to accomplish his request? The centurion understood the authority of Jesus. The centurion was given authority from his master to rule over those under him. Likewise, Jesus had been given authority from the Father. And if the Lord says it, it will be done as He says because of the authority given to Him by the Father.

So how does that apply to me? Do I really understand Jesus' place of authority? Both the man with leprosy and the centurion obviously did; it is evidenced in how the approached the Lord. And they both trusted that from His position of authority, He could accomplish what they asked. The centurion didn't even need to see it with his eyes. He knew if Jesus said it, it would be done. Do I have the faith that takes Jesus at His word, whether or not I can see it being fulfilled? Do I have a proper understanding of His authority, so that I can take His word and recognize it as reality?

I may not be all the way there; who in this life is perfect? But if the Lord says it, it is so. When He says He will take care of all our needs, I can bank on Him meeting all my needs. And the Lord wants us to have the kind of faith to be like the centurion. He didn't see the healing of his servant until he walked all the way back home. I believe it's in Isaiah where it says that the word of the Lord does not return empty. We have His promises, and if we really understood His authority... if we truly saw that the Lord is the One on the throne... we could walk in faith knowing that when we arrive, our servant will be healed. We can walk in faith knowing that the Lord will meet our every need, even before we see the need met. And by His grace, I will walk in that faith to the glory of God.

Praise the Lord! Thank you Jesus for your promises.

3 comments:

Hannah Nichole Atchley said...

This is good stuff my Justin: )
Really good stuff.... do I have that faith? Right now, I think not... But, Lord... help my unbelief.

Jonathan Trentham said...

The earth is the LORD’s, and all its fullness, The world and those who dwell therein. For He has founded it upon the seas, And established it upon the waters.
-psalm 24

Why dont we act like we believe this? Our actions reflect our beliefs, and I personally have stuggled with truely trusting God to hold me up as all else falls around me. But His Word gives testimony to His ability, and care for us.

Psalm 91 is a GREAT Word we can use not only to cling on, but also to stand ourselves up and face whatever may come before us.

He is the Lord Most High, My God, My Refuge, My Strong Tower, and in Him I trust!

Liz Overton said...

Wow, awesome word, Justin! Very challenging and convicting. I don't always have that kind of faith, especially when I don't feel like I have anything to go on or I don't see anything happening. But I desire have that kind of faith--and complete trust in God's authority to do what he says he will do. As Hannah said above, the cry of my heart is: Lord, I want to believe. Please help my unbelief.